Exhibitions Technician / Preparator
This support position reports to the Director of Exhibitions and is a vital team member to exhibitions, collections, curatorial and interpretation teams. This position provides assistance developing, producing, installing, deinstalling, shipping, moving, repairing, project managing and daily maintenance of exhibition projects both in-house produced or rented and for permanent dioramas and exhibition cases throughout the Museum.
The duties listed are designed to provide a representative sampling of key tasks and responsibilities associated with the job. They are not a complete list of all the duties performed by this position.
- Use of power tools for fabrication and construction of mount making using paper, wood, metal and plastics
- Gallery walls and exhibition furniture painting
- Basic electrical applied to lighting track systems and fixtures and digital equipment
- Computer skills, graphic art programs, presentation programs, data base programs
- Digital technologies Web 2.0, Virtual Reality, Mobile Applications, audio, video
- Awareness of art handling techniques for museum objects
- Awareness of museum collection’s management protocols
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Strong communication and analytical skills
- The ability to work at times on multiple projects simultaneously and independently
- The ability to climb ladders and lift/push 50 pounds and drive a car or pickup truck
- Excellent customer service, presentation, and writing skills
- Excellent time management skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects with varying deadlines
- Must be able to stand and walk for long periods of time
The ideal candidate works well both independently and as a collaborative, diplomatic team member, is able to work early morning, late evenings or weekends when necessary during installations and deinstallation of exhibitions.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- BA/BS in related field(s), studio art, museum studies, industrial design or four years related experience in a museum Preparator position
- Experience in a museum, historic park, construction, furniture manufacturing, building maintenance or similar hands-on skills highly desirable
Please send resume and cover letter to HR@bishopscience.org